May 07, 2012
kosmo - See all 772 of my articles
In an effort to cultivate writing among our base of readers, I am announcing the first annual Soap Boxers Fiction Writing contest.
- The first place winner will win a $25 Amazon gift card. You can buy nearly anything from Amazon, but I’d personally suggest using the $25 toward a Kindle.
- A random voter will win a $5 Amazon gift card.
- Writers for The Soap Boxers, and their immediate families, are not eligible to win prizes.
- There are no other eligibility restrictions. The winner can be any age, and from any country.
- Stories must be submitted by noon Central time on May 21, 2012. Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will send an email confirmation within 24 hours. If you don’t receive a confirmation, please follow up.
- Stories will be posted on May 23. Voting will end at midnight Central time on May 25. One vote per person.
- The story must not have been published previously, either in print or online.
- By submitting an entry, you grant The Soap Boxers the one time right to post the story. You retain all other rights to the story.
- Entries must be your own work. If plagiarism is discovered, your entry will be disqualified and we will fully cooperate with rights holders who wish to sue or have you prosecuted.
- The story must be set during the summer. Summer does not have to be the overriding theme, but the action of the story should take place during the summer months. I’ll be flexible with regards to what constitutes “summer”, but if you write about dragging home a Christmas tree, I’ll have to disqualify your entry.
- The contest is open to any genre, with the exception of hard core porn. Stories that fall within the confines of an R rating – such as crime fiction – ARE allowed.
- Suggested length is 500 to 2000 words. This is merely a suggestion, but keep in mind the fact that the site’s readers will vote on the winner. It can be difficult to get someone to read an 8000 word post on a web site.
If you have any other question, post them in the comments section below.
Let your friends know about the contest – share via email, Facebook, and Twitter. The more entries, the better!
If you’re new to The Soap Boxers, take a look around. A complete listing of the site’s 1100+ articles can be found in the archives. You’ll find writing, sports, politics, art, crime, news, and much more. All of the content is completely free, but if you like what you see, considering using one of our many Amazon links to kick off an Amazon shopping trip. There’s no added cost to you, and we get a small commission on each sale.
Share this article via email Kosmo is the founder of The Soap Boxers and writes on a variety of topics. Many of his short stories have been collected into Kindle books. Like this site? Subscribe via RSS, Subscribe via Email, or Follow us on Twitter or Facebook. The permanent URL for this article is: