Dec 23, 2011
kosmo - See all 772 of my articles
2011 has been a very good year. Hyrax Publications (the parent company of The Soap Boxers) turned a profit, as did the Soap Boxers division. Not a large profit (the hourly rate would be absurdly low), but definitely black ink instead of red. The number of visitors also hit an all-time high. What lies ahead for 2012?
- The 2012 election will get a lot of coverage in The Political Observers column of The Soap Boxers. I’ll definitely have something special in place for Election Night coverage, although details have not been ironed out. There will be more than 40 scheduled political articles between now and election day, but you can be sure we’ll sneak in a dozen or so extra articles – and I’m sure the number of comments will increase.
- We’ll also provide ample coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, as well the the US Olympic trials. I’m also very interested in the insights of Olympic fans outside the US, as well as expanding our US-based team. If you’re interested in becoming part of the Olympic coverage team, send me an email at kosmo@ObservingCasually.com. We’ll also have an Olympic Fantasy league, where you pick a team and get points for medals your athletes win.
- If the world ends on December 21, 2012, we’ll be sure to provide coverage. I’ll likely write and “end of the world” article and schedule it to run on the 22nd. If the world doesn’t end, I’ll just delete the article. If the world DOES end, the article will run (assuming that Dreamhost‘s servers survive to apocalypse). “Winning!”
- I’ll continue to do some freelance writing on personal finance topics at The Digerati Life, and you may see my name pop up on other sites from time to time.
- I anticipate launching at least one Kindle novella in 2012. Hopefully this number will be closer to six. I have plans for a series of novellas that follow the exploits of a certain character. I’d love to get two of these launched by mid-year. As always, you’ll be able to find all my works on my Amazon author page. (Hey, guess what? My books will be FREE tomorrow and Sunday. Merry Christmas!)
- I’ll also be working with some of the site’s other authors to aid them in launching their own Kindle books. Tentative plans include a poetry book, a fiction book, and a lighthearted travel book. The books will be published under the Hyrax Publications imprint.
- Will we add any new writers in 2012? Probably. I have no plans to add any writers at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll want to tinker with things a bit at some point in the year. I always do. The most likely additions would be writers from other countries, as I would love to add news and analysis that doesn’t have a distintcly American angle.
What are you – the readers – looking for in 2012? As a non-niche site, we can definitely tailor the content of the site to reflect what you want.
If the money from your Christmas bonus is burning a hole in your pocket and you want to contribute to the financial success of The Soap Boxers, you can always PayPal a few bucks to us (email address for contributions is firstname.lastname@example.org). Or you can simply continue to read for free.
Share this article via email Kosmo is the founder of The Soap Boxers and writes on a variety of topics. Many of his short stories have been collected into Kindle books. Like this site? Subscribe via RSS, Subscribe via Email, or Follow us on Twitter or Facebook. The permanent URL for this article is: